United States Threatens Against Sanctions on Myanmar General for Military Coup

Share on:

United States the US Threatens Against Sanctions on Myanmar General for Military Coup


GEALENAthe United States Threatens Against Sanctions on Myanmar. The United States has threatened to re-impose sanctions on Myanmar’s generals. After they staged a coup and arrested elected leader Aung San Suu Kyi. Who has not been identified more than 24 hours after being arrested?

The UN Security Council will hold a meeting today, diplomats said, amid calls for global action to respond to the Nobel laureate’s arrest and dozens of his political allies.

The coup followed the victory of Suu Kyi’s National League for Democracy (NLD) party in the November elections. As a result, the military rejected the pretext of electoral fraud.

The army handed power to General Min Aung Hlaing and imposed a national emergency for a year.

US President Joe Biden said the coup was a direct attack on Myanmar’s transition to democracy. And legislation and said his administration would monitor other countries’ responses.

US Threatens Myanmar Sanctions

“The United States is lifting sanctions against Burma over the past decade based on progress towards democracy. Any retreat from that progress will require an immediate review of our sanctions law and authorities, followed by appropriate action,” Biden said in a statement. (2/2).

“We will work with our partners across the region and the world to support the restoration of democracy and the rule of law. And hold those responsible to account for canceling Burma’s democratic transition,” he continued.

The United Nations led the criticism of the coup and called for the release of prisoners and restoration of democracy. Followed by Australia, the European Union, India, Japan, and the US.

China does not join in criticizing, but only calls on all parties to respect the constitution. Other countries in the region including neighboring Thailand declined to comment on Myanmar’s “internal affairs”.

Also read:

On Tuesday morning, telephone and internet connections were accessible.

But markets and airports in Yangon’s commercial hub were closed. Banks that were closed Monday returned to operations on Tuesday.